Friday, March 10, 2017

Our Black Muslim Mamas Been Rockin' Hijab Since Before We Were Babies


By Jamillah Karim, with Joi Faison

Mama Marjorie, "She's the True Cover Girl"



I love Deen Squad’s new video “Cover Girl” with chorus “She Be Rockin’ That Hijab.” It captures much of what drives my writing on American Muslim women: that we cover not only for God but with style and beauty; that it is our choice; that it does not prevent us from accomplishing great things; and that Western society’s portrayal of Muslim women betrays its racism when Mary the Mother of Jesus' covering is honored and ours is vilified. 


This picture of Ayisha with child reminds me of depictions of Mary the Mother of Jesus


What better way than to convey this message than with beats, lyrics, and images portraying Muslim women around the world as cool, beautiful, and stunningly stylish?

And yet there is a better way, one that evenly represents us all. My dear sister Ayisha brought it to our attention first on her fb wall, “I'll admit, I was on the edge of my seat, thinking where the HECK are the Black Hijabis??!! I started to see one or two, but all was better when sister Ibtihaj came up on the screen!! Whew!”

And then my dear friend Joi said it:

Joi and Jamillah, Eid al-Fitr 2015



“Sometimes as an extra brown girl, of the deep earth hue, I get real tired of seeing others repped where I should be too. I gets tired of barely cameo appearances, the sidelines, and periphery. I gets tired of the invisibility, of the dismissiveness, of the ghost whispers of existences. Cause Lawd knows I gots bones and breath and feeling and prayers and fasting and giving and giving and forgiving. Lawd knows I show up on my mat daily to meet my Maker and He hear the dua of my mother tongue, learned Arabic, and the ‘Allahumma helps’ in the dark of the night, wrapped around balls of tears....Making me feel like doing a Sojourner Truth rendition of ‘Ain't I a Muslim.’”


And when Joi said it, I knew it was time to be like Hagar again and write as a worshipper-scholar-activist must do.

Courtesy of Nassar Madyun, Atlanta, GA














Black Muslim women of my mother’s generation, and even before her, women who embraced Islam in the 1940s, ‘50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s, made it cool and bold and beautiful to wear the scarf and the khimar when it was terribly unpopular or even unthinkable to do so. And yes, that’s what we called it back in the day, the scarf and the khimar, before immigrant Islam asserted its authority and called it the hijab.

Women in the Nation of Islam will quickly remind you of this fact, that Black women were the first to publicly identify as Muslim in America. One Nation woman told me in an interview for my second book, “I strive to let... [people] know that if it wasn’t for the sisters prior to me before ’75, I wouldn’t be able to wear a khimar, headpiece, veil or whatever; none of us would. I wouldn’t be able to carry the name Muhammad.”


Courtesy of Bilalian News, circa 1975




In multiple ways, Black Muslim women carry a serious legacy of Islam in America. Whether our Mamas were drilling at the Temple, taking care of their babies at home, or out in the street selling community newspapers (after Imam W.D. Mohammed became leader), they were rockin' hijab regally and courageously.



The Vanguard, the drill team unit of MGT, in pant-skirt uniform, Harlem, 1971


Jeanette Nu'Man, Atlanta
Maryam Sharif, Shahidah Sharif's Grandmother, circa 1976, NY
Shahidah Sharif's mother baked hijab cake for sister's birthday


Here are just a few moments from my adolescence in the Warith Deen Mohammed community in Atlanta that stand out, demonstrating the way our Black Muslim Mamas made it possible for Black, Brown and White Muslim girls to be rockin’ hijab today.

First Memory, 1980s - In the basement of a humble house in Decatur, GA, five African American women gather to design and sew clothes for a Muslim women’s fashion show. Sister Amira Wazeer, founder and designer, started the modestly attended show “Celebrations” to nurture and celebrate style and modesty.

Second Memory, May 1992 - Beyond the basement for some years now, "Celebrations" is a first-rate show featuring designers from across the country including Shukuru, Lateefah Treasures, Ikhlas Muhammad, Lubna Originals, Lady Zakiyyah, Hanifah’s Secrets, and Anju.


Amira Wazeer


Celebrations featured in AJC, May 10, 1993


Five hundred women from Atlanta and beyond meet at the Hyatt Hotel for Celebrations, now the biggest fundraiser for the Atlanta Masjid. In her royal dress, Sister Amira proclaims to the crowd of sisters in delightful, majestic garments of various hues and expressions both modest and striking at once,

“You are royalty, you are the vicegerent of Al-Malik (The King of Kings). Dignity of dress therefore is required. Hesitate not! Seize the opportunity to be recognized as a believing woman.

“We are trendsetters. Europeans have copied Islamic design. We have influenced the garment industry to the point that Islamic style is in. Head wear is in. What we have been doing for years is now vogue.”



Third Memory, July 1992 - Before my senior year of high school, I finally embrace the scarf on my own after my mother has been encouraging me to wear it for the last four years. And I make the choice not when it is easiest and most convenient--that is, during the school year where I attend Warith Deen Mohammed High--but during a summer program at Clark Atlanta University. My mother seizes the opportunity to make me feel beautiful in my scarf. I recall it vividly. After a quick trip to the material store, she brings to my dorm room scarves of every color you can imagine--pink, purple, white, navy, yellow, red, black, and sky blue--in material easy to wrap the way the women in my community have long rocked it.


Fourth Memory, July 1992 or 1993 - On a hot afternoon in July, a congregation of nearly 100 Muslims stand on the parking lot of the Atlanta Masjid of Al-Islam to view a press conference in response to “Women of the Veil,” a 12-page report featured in The Atlanta Journal Constitution. Although no members of the invited press attend the conference, the five African American Muslim women panelists--including a pediatrician, a computer analyst, and a school principal--express their dissatisfaction with the manner in which the Atlanta newspaper covered Islam and Muslim women in the Middle East.

And so when I watch the Deen Squad video, not only do I feel sentiments like those of Joi and Ayisha--Where are the Black Hijabis?-- but also I feel indebted to the women of my mother’s generation. I feel called to write their stories once again.

Always, I carry deep respect and recognition for our Black Muslim Mamas, even on the day I took my highly anticipated picture with Ibtihaj Muhammad. After my picture with her, I took one with her mother, Sister Denise. We all know that it was her mother, always conscious of God and modesty, who spotted girls fencing in a schoolyard and directed Ibtihaj to the sport that would make her famous and us proud.

September 2016

How I would love to post my picture with Sister Denise except that she requested that I not share it on social media. And that’s how our Black Muslim Mamas be rockin’ it: always humble so their daughters can shine. My Mama, yo’ Muslim Mama, Ibtihaj’s Mama, our modern day Hagars.


I could go on. Of course Deen Squad's video evoked gratitude for my spiritual Mama Tayyibah Taylor, the first to make us Cover Girls via her creation Azizah Magazine. But I’ll stop here, and since we are celebrating Women’s History Month, I'll end with an excerpt from my book Women of the Nation: Between Black Protest and Sunni Islam, co-authored by Dawn-Marie Gibson. 


With Tayyibah Taylor in front of MLK statue at Morehouse Chapel, March 2014


This excerpt is from one of my favorite sections, “Women Worshippers: Dress and the Practices of Sunni Islam,” where I describe the way in which Imam Mohammed immediately introduced the five pillars of Islam and other practices in 1975. (In the late 1970s, the new Nation of Islam community is called the World Community of Islam in the West, WCIW):


Modesty was still emphasized as an Islamic value, but women could now wear mainstream clothes. Women were happy to design new styles or shop at the store. Amidah Salahuddin notes, “Imam W. D. Mohammed eliminated the garments in the Nation of Islam [as part of] transitioning us to become more Americanized so that we would fit into American society and in our workplace and not seem as though we were different.”

Women in the WCIW developed a unique form of dress that continues to set them apart as women under the leadership of Imam Mohammed. This distinction results from the challenge he left for women to figure out for themselves how to create a uniquely American or African American Muslim style. This was very different from other Sunni African American Muslims at that time, who simply adopted the dress styles of other Muslim cultures. 

Atlanta Muslim women continue the legacy of Celebrations with a show organized by our generation, The Sealed Nectar Fashion Show, led by Naimah Mwenda Abdullah


“The challenge,” Jeanette Nu’Man describes, “was trying to figure out what to wear that was appropriate and understanding the Qur’anic guidelines in terms of what modesty really means.” Fashion shows became popular in the community, recalls Fareedah, as Imam Mohammed invited fashion designers to “come forward with some ideas.” 

The two hijab styles that evolved and most set this community apart were the “scarf,” a square scarf folded into a triangle and tied around the back, and the “headwrap,” or gele. Early on, some women wore the scarf loosely tied with bangs slipping through the front. Eventually more women adopted the headwrap, which Jessica describes as a peculiar trend in which women went from the very conservative uniform headpiece to a more relaxed version—that is, the lightly tied scarf—to a more conservative form in which women again covered all of their hair in the headwrap or the scarf. Here is why she moved to the headwrap: “For many of us, it was getting back to a personal identification or expression of our covering. For instance, a lot of us were Afrocentric and chose to use more African ways of covering versus looking at Chicago [namely, the Bilalian News] for our style. And then the fashion started kicking in and we saw different ways of expressing our modesty.” 

Jeanette also chose the headwrap because she had worn Afrocentric clothing in college prior to joining the Nation. While Jessica and Jeanette were embracing their African heritage in Atlanta, Amidah observed women in the WCIW being influenced by a variety of ethnic Muslim groups in the more cosmopolitan setting of Harlem:

We had the Senegalese sisters with all their headwear on. And then we had a lot of the immigrant sisters from Pakistan . . . and Egypt. So the khimar [a hijab with the material draped beyond the neck, either to the back or the front] came in and sisters were doing that beautifully. . . . We had so many influences that you could pretty much [come up with any style]. And then we had sisters like Lubna, African American sisters who were designers coming up and developing their own fashion wear for sisters of African American background, so that they have their own expression.

American clothes, either store-bought or handmade, eventually predominated as the style that came to characterize women in Imam Mohammed’s community, but because of modesty requirements, even the American clothes took on a uniquely African American Muslim expression. “Short dresses over pants,” recalls Fareedah, were an example. “They were very attractive.” On top of such modest arrangement of garments, the headwrap mostly, but also other hijab styles, would unmistakably mark these women as Muslim, which most women desired.


I invite you to purchase a copy of Women and the Nation to read more. For now, enjoy more pictures that Ayisha and I found in our personal collection. Many of them were taken during the Eid Holiday, our favorite time to rock our head wraps boldly and beautifully.

Shukuru's Daughters













22 comments:

  1. Alhamdullilah! A beautiful journey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello everyone, I'm here to let the whole world know of a man called Dr. Ekpen he is a spell caster and he is the man that helps me in my restore my marriage when my husband broke up with me, he use his power and gift to restore joy in my relationship. I want to also let the whole world know that he can still help if you are been blackmail by someone or you want to win a court case he can help. Contact him today via email: ekpentemple@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. The shots heard around the world. Like the Nike sports hijab, there was both love and sadness in my heart when I saw the hijabi video. First, I'd like to acknowledge the original song writer, Saiffullah Jackson. I'm not sure he received any credit besides a short clip of his voice on the hook in the background. On one hand, any positive news/advertisement for Muslims is good. On the other, the lack of celebration for ALL of our sisters is disappointing. As a black woman, the media already marginalizes us and our stories. The legacy of battery and abuse from slavery and colonization still haunts us. We've been left out so often that we have to shout: BLACK MUSLIMAH LIVES MATTER!!!
    Can anyone hear us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Islam is as broad as humanity. We're unique and beautiful, and should continue to walk in our truth. Medina R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see you writing our story! We can't expect anyone else to write our story. I hope to see a video in the future as well or on utube. The hijabi video was disappointing, but reiterated the need to do things according to the way we see them. For instance , the previous Azizah's magazine were diverse, balance. Thank you Dr. Jamilla for the effort you are exerting to project our story thank you for not leaving our story untold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen with my own eyes wineheads straighten up and brush themselves off when passed by women reformed by Elijah Muhammad, The greatest social reformer in the history of the African American to wear the hijab. But people want to ask us are we really Muslims , a case for loud laughter. "Blessed are those who forge the way for others"Elijah Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen with my own eyes wineheads straighten up and brush themselves off when passed by women reformed by Elijah Muhammad, The greatest social reformer in the history of the African American to wear the hijab. But people want to ask us are we really Muslims , a case for loud laughter. "Blessed are those who forge the way for others"Elijah Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful statement, telling our stories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking me on this journey! Beautiful, inspiring and oh so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via; ( agbazara@gmail.com) or call him on WHATSAPP: +2348104102662?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work..
    فساتين زفاف مسلم

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging..
    فساتين زفاف مسلم

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaftan kurti is a kind of Kaftan that is more of the tops instead of the whole thing, they are shorter and some have short sleeves as well instead of long ones. More information on Women - Amanis on amanis.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you looking for for Pakistani scarf and hijab, do not worry about it. We are providing you best pakistani scarf with good quality of stuff and fiber. Just visit us and take a look at stock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hijab is very important in Islamic history and i read your article and i got very useful and please take a loot at Hijab Shop to fine more quality stuff,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hijabs for Muslim women have gradually evolved from a mere convenience to a coveted fashion accessory that continues to remain conservative and yet trendy. Visit Islamic Center of Reseda and Learn what is out there and how you can buy them online.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Information which is given in Blog is very helpful. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.

    Muslim Spells

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so delighted to meet PRIEST AZIBA after a long time looking for help in order to fix the ups and downs with my boyfriend. We lived together for two years without any problems until this year when he started seeing another girl, When I tried talking to him, he decided to leave me for her which made me so heart broken after all we have been through together, he even stopped picking up my calls and also blocked me from calling him. I love him dearly and couldn't accept losing him that's why I decided to seek help from PRIEST AZIBA through his WhatsApp number +2348100368288, he helped me quickly in one day and as I speak my boyfriend is back to me with lots of love and respect like never before. Am expecting more good things to happen in our relationship.
    Get in contact with PRIEST AZIBA and He's also specialize in giving lottery winning numbers spells, Herbal Medicines E.T.C. Get connected Email: priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp : +2348100368288


    ReplyDelete
  19. black hijabs : AWRA London is a British brand established in 2012 with a solid spotlight on morals, manageability, quality and style. We are experts in enormous estimated hijabs only. Shop our assortment of maintainable Black hijabs

    ReplyDelete